Intro to Health Coaching
Welcome to Hinge Health! Your coach is excited to start working with you, to help you achieve your health goals. While most of your participation will take place within the app on your new tablet, you will receive live coaching from a certified professional. The Health Coach you’ve been partnered with will be here to support you each step of the way. Since this process may be new to you, we’ve put together some information that will help you make the most of your time with your Coach.
What Does a Health Coach Do?
Your Health Coach is your partner on your Hinge Health journey. Their role is to support you in the following ways.
- Share information and guidance on the exercises and education concepts in your app.
- Help you stay motivated and accountable.
- Track your activity in the app and touch base with you a couple times each week.
- Celebrate your progress, and support you in working through obstacles that may come up along the way.
- Provide a safe and judgement free environment to explore meaningful goals, and ways to reach them.
What is Coaching?
- A process that facilitates healthy and sustainable behavior change.
- Transformation of your health goals into concrete action steps.
- A creative process that challenges unhelpful patterns and automatic thoughts.
- Encouragement for new possibilities and mindsets to blossom.
What is Coaching NOT?
- A replacement for therapy.
- Access to a personal trainer or dietician.
- Dictation of what a participant must do in order to see change.
- A place for medical diagnoses or prescriptions.
- A one-sided conversation.
How Can I Make the Most of My Coaching Experience?
Successful coaching relies just as much on the person being coached as it does on the coach. The coaching session is where the brainstorming and collaborating happens, but it’s up to you to take responsibility for the changes you wish to make.1 Remember, you’ll get out of this process what you put in.
Many of our most successful participants have taken the following steps to get the most out of their coaching experience. Which ones seem most doable for you?
Get Clear On Your Desired Outcomes:
- Determine what led you to sign up for Hinge Health, and what you’re hoping to change by the end of the program.
- Decide where you want to grow, and why it matters to you. Get specific!
Let Your Voice Be Heard:
- Your coach is happy to serve as a sounding board as you unpack and explore ideas.
- This is a judgement free space - your coach is here to support you, so let them know where you’d like to start.
Prepare Ahead of Time:
- If you reflect ahead of time, the more meaningful your coaching call will be.
- Come to the session clear about what’s going to be valuable for you to talk about.
Stay in Touch Between Coaching Calls:
- Share your wins, challenges and realizations. Understanding your journey helps your coach to support you.
- You can reach them by text or email, too.
Action Steps to get you Started
- Reflect on what you would like to focus on during your first coaching call. Even 5 minutes of reflection can make a big difference.
- Schedule a call with your coach, using their booking link. If you’re not sure where to find it, just ask!
- Palmer, Blaire. (2017). How to Be Coached. Retrieved from: https://medium.com/@BlairePalmer/how-to-be-coached-38c2103e444f