Here at Hinge Health, we want to help you build on the movement habits that you’ve already formed, so you can stay consistent in managing your pain and reach the goals that you've set for yourself. Core strength is beneficial for everyday activities, and can help improve your stability and balance. We’d like to challenge you to add on to your Hinge Health sessions by focusing on your core strength for the next two weeks.
Dates: This challenge will run from Monday, November 2nd to Sunday November 15th.
What to do:
- Say Yes: Let your coach know you are participating in this challenge by sending a text to 833-418-0909 or leaving a note in the app. They can help you create a goal, plan for success, and stay on track.
- To participate in this challenge, start off with a goal in mind for how much core strengthening you'd like to do. Find a level that you feel comfortable challenging yourself with for the next two weeks. Your coach is available to help with this step if needed.
- After you complete the exercises in your playlists, leave your coach a note in the app (available on the Log your health page) or send your coach a text to let them know that you're adding on those additional steps.
Prepare for the challenge
After you let your coach know that you'd like to join in, create a weekly goal with your coach. Here are some examples:
- Do a plank after each Hinge Health session per week for at least 1 minute each.
- After my Hinge Health sessions over the next two weeks I'll do 7 minutes of core exercises.
- After my Hinge Health sessions over the next two weeks I'll complete 2 sets of 15 reps for bicycle crunches and mountain climbers.
The purpose of this challenge is to add on to your Hinge Health session by focusing on your core strength for the next two weeks. You can keep the extra exercises quick if you’d like, or if you have time you can challenge yourself with more exercises.
Your additional core work should feel like a challenge to you, but you can incorporate it any way that you like throughout the week and in a way that you know you can commit to. If you’re in need of ideas please reach out to your coach and they will happily help you come up with a goal you feel comfortable with.
Strengthen Your Core
Once you have your goal, it's time to get moving!
Check in with your coach periodically throughout the challenge to let them know how you're progressing with the challenge. They're here to help support you and keep you on track.
Examples of Core Exercises
Bird Dog with Elbow & Knee Touch
Start on your hands and knees.
Slowly reach your left arm out and right leg back. Hold for 2 seconds. Then, bend both the knee and elbow and bring them together, under your torso. Focus on keeping the movement smooth and fluid.
Repeat 10 times on one side, then switch to the other side. Perform 2 sets on each side to start. To progress, add more 1 set or 5 more reps at a time.
Lower Trunk Rotation
Start lying on your back with your arms at your side and both knees bent.
Lift both feet off the ground and slowly rock your hips side to side, bringing your knees over to one side then the other. Focus on keeping the movement smooth and fluid.
Repeat 5 arcs each direction per set. Perform 2 sets to start. To progress, add 1 more set or 1 more arc each direction.
To make this exercise easier: bend the knees more and move through a smaller arc. To make this exercise harder: straighten the knees more and move through a bigger arc.
Begin lying face down with toes pointed and arms above your head.
Slowly lift your right arm and left leg off the ground, keeping your elbow and knee straight. Hold for 2 seconds, then switch sides.
Repeat 5 times on each side. Perform 2 sets to start. To progress, add 1 more set or 2 more reps per set.
To make this exercise easier: raise only an arm or leg. To make this exercise harder: raise your arms and legs higher.
Start lying on your stomach, resting on your forearms and elbows.
Lift your hips up so you’re on your forearms and knees. Think about pushing the ground away from you.
Hold for 10 seconds. Rest for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.
As this gets easier, you can progress by performing this on your hands and/or feet and increasing the hold time.
Questions about this challenge?
Send your coach a message either in the app or by text at 833-418-0909. They’d love to help you create a goal!
Traveling or on the go? Want to add stretches at work?
Download the Hinge Health app on your mobile device to make it convenient and easy to do your playlist no matter where you are: https://www.hingehealth.com/-/installing-the-hinge-health-mobile-app/
Don’t have a smartphone?
No problem! Your tablet is travel friendly and portable, too. You can even complete playlists without WiFi, simply reconnect once you have wireless services again so your coach can see your progress!